There is a blood donation drive coming up this weekend.
Venue: Dhoby Ghuat NEL train station
Date: 15-17 Dec
Time: 12 - 6pm
Event Website: http://www.trulymagical.org
Corporate website: http://www.blooddonations.org/query.html
I will be going for the blood donation on Sat between 5- 6pm
For those who are keen to join me, do let me know so I can arrange to meet you somewhere
Make this Christmas A Truly Magical One
Fast Facts: Do You Know
• The Centre for Transfusion Medicine of the Health Sciences Authority supplies blood to all the hospitals in Singapore.
• Every hour of the day, 8 units of blood are consumed.
• Multiply those 8 units by hours in a day and the total yearly consumption becomes enormous. In fact, it amounts to about 64 000 units a year.
• All donors are community volunteers, giving blood out of concern for those in need. No donor is paid for his or her donation.
• Likewise, the patients receiving blood transfusions do not pay for the blood.
• A processing fee, determined by the Ministry of Health, is charged on each unit of blood or component for the processing, testing and storage services provided.
• Giving blood is entirely safe.
• The health of each potential donor is carefully assessed by our attending doctor or nurse before donation.
• It is impossible to catch any disease by donating blood as the equipment used is entirely disposable ie., it is used only once and discarded.
• The average adult has 4 - 5 litres of blood. At each donation, only 450 ml of blood is drawn. This is about one-tenth of the total volume of blood in the body.
• The volume donated will be replaced in 72 hours. Giving blood will have no harm to your body and will not weaken your immune system.
• We need more ladies to come forward as blood donors. Women form only 30% of our donor panel.
Blood donation does not cause any weight gain. Our bodies only replace the blood donated - they do not overcompensate and produce excess blood or fat.